The Grand Canyon
Hello everyone, yesterday we had a relaxed day in
Williams (where we are staying) and went to Bearizona and to explore downtown.
Bearizona is a drive-thru wildlife experience that also has a walk through zoo
area, and we saw things like black bears, arctic wolves, bighorn sheep, jaguars,
and bison. It was fun! There were also a few restaurants there and a coffee and
gelato stand. A couple in our group who can tolerate dairy got gelato and
confirmed that it was the best they had ever had...and better than Blue Bell ice cream!
Others who can tolerate caffeine got coffee from the cute little coffee stand,
and were surprised at the quality of it (my mom and I don't fit into either of
the two groups :)). I think it's unique to find high quality yummy treats in a
zoo. After leaving there, we went to downtown Williams and walked around and
went in a few shops. A lot of them had Native American made goods and
souvenirs, and we will probably go back there and get some souvenirs at the end
of the week. Bryce already has chosen what he wants to get to take home, a
handcrafted wooden flute...he had big ideas of getting it yesterday and playing
it at the Grand Canyon today. I am not kidding at all, he was very serious
about it...he lives in a movie and he is the main character. My mom said it was
too early to get souvenirs though, so he won't be able to live out that dream.
We had chili at the house once we got back and then watched American Idol (a
weekly family event) before heading to bed exhausted again.
This morning we had a good breakfast while waiting for
our Grand Canyon tour guide to get to the house. Her name was Molly and she
arrived in a Ford van around 8:40 am. The drive to the Grand Canyon from our
house was about an hour, and the tour started as soon as we left the driveway.
Molly was very knowledgeable and had things to point out and history to explain
all the way to the park. When we got to our first stop, we had yet to catch a
glimpse of the canyon. It was a good first stop, because the parking lot was
surrounded by trees so you really couldn't see the canyon until you walked
right up to the fencing, and then you got the whole view all at once. I cannot
describe the feeling of seeing it for the first time. Molly had told us right
after we got out of the van that people have trouble processing the view and
believing that what they are seeing is real, and I totally understand why.
Thinking back on the day, I'm still not sure that I have processed it all. We walked
up the sidewalk from the parking lot, the anticipation making our strides
bigger and faster, and when we finally emerged from the trees at the platform, there
was just silence. The feeling that hit me can be described as nothing less than
a full force bombardment of wonder…a big ol’ unbelievable smack to the face.
After I recovered my balance from the initial overwhelming first look, all I
could say was “wow.” My family had the
same thoughts…sentences weren’t really forming, I just heard a lot of “wow,” “woah,”
and “oh my goodness.” I will attach pictures, because, even though they do not do
the place justice, they do more than my words can do. It was so huge and vast, yet
there were so many little details. Everywhere you looked, there was something
else to see. You can look at it from the rim as a whole big canyon, and the
details blend together, and it is beautiful. But you can also look closely at
each different cliff, at the bends of the Colorado river, the rocks balancing
on one another on the side of the walls of the canyon, the birds soaring down
below, the juniper trees growing all over, and each of those details is also
breathtaking. That is what makes it so hard to process, because there’s no one thing
to focus on…there are countless gorgeous things to look at.
Today at the canyon was definitely revealing of some
personality traits of people in my family that we don’t always see. My mom was
a nervous wreck the whole time, because she is afraid of heights and is aware of
the many Grand Canyon deaths that have happened over the years. She observed
the canyon from a further distance than the rest of us and had to look away
several times when we got closer to the edge (it was still safe or I wouldn’t have
gone) than she liked. Anabelle and Dad both like to get as close to the edge as
possible and found a rocky ledge that dropped off that they wanted to take pictures
on. I would not go out there with them, but I told them to be careful several
times and took pictures as quickly as possible so that they would come back to
safety. I don’t even know where Bryce was at this point, he went walking around
on his own. Clayton was pretty adventurous at first, but then the wind picked
up and he retreated to safety real quick. He and I are similar in that way,
somewhere between my mom’s extreme cautiousness and my dad and Anabelle’s
fearlessness.
I feel like I’ve said as much as I can about this day,
but at the same time I don’t think I could ever say enough! I don’t want to
lose your interest though, so I will wrap it up and show you some pictures.
Long story short…The Grand Canyon is unlike anything I have ever seen, and it is
overwhelmingly beautiful and creative. Here are some pictures 😊
![]() |
| Really glad Memaw and Papaw decided to join us :) |
![]() |
| We almost lost Bryce haha |




This is so awesome to read! The picture of Bryce is a keeper! Love the way you write!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm glad you are reading it!
DeleteThe souvenir story is funny, and if I had been there, I would have encouraged the purchase of the wooden flute. It would have added an interesting element to the GC experience.
ReplyDeleteI encouraged Bryce to be careful around the ledges at the GC.
I wonder what Molly thought of y'all.
I think it's sweet that Memaw and Papaw came along.
Remember that the God that crafted that canyon was the same God that crafted you. And as glorious as the canyon is, so are you. He delighted in making you. You are His treasure. The canyon speaks of His love for you. He is on your side.
We are headed to get souvenirs this morning, so we will see if he gets his wish...
DeleteAnd thank you for that reminder :)